The key to winning the day nutrition wise is to always be prepared for any situation you may find yourself. Plan ahead for any potential schedule change or roadblock to keeping your nutrition on track then pack ahead of time accordingly.
One question I get asked often is regarding suitable snacks. I typically keep my snacks protein based for several reasons. I have particular macros that I aim to hit daily (higher protein, low fat, moderate carbs) and protein based snacks help me keep my daily protein higher while keeping fat low and not raising my carbs too high. Protein based snacks will keep you feeling fuller for longer helping you from overeating the wrong things. I aim to bring in around 20-25 grams of protein per snack. Here are five of my 'go-to' protein based snacks:
- Beef Jerky: Find a kind that has more protein than sugar/carbs. You’ll find a couple quality choices in the APEX Jerky snacks and APEX Jerky Sticks we have from Bowmar Nutrition.
- Turkey Roll Ups: Use 3 slices of low fat deli turkey and one slice of low-fat cheese and roll it up. I will typically make two of these at a time.
- Greek Yogurt Parfait: Use 1 cup of non-fat greek yogurt. Add your own layers of mixed berries and granola.
- Almonds: Watch the serving size and keep it no more than ~22 almonds. This is a great snack, but is also high in fat even though it's the good kind.
- Protein shake: if you’re looking for high protein options with minimal ingredients, choosing any of our Isolate Proteins is the way to go. If you’re thinking true meal replacement, then the Bucked Up Feast Protein is our recommendation! It’s packed with a protein blend, carbs, and healthy fats to give you everything you need on the go!
- Nut Butters: Nut butters with a slice of bread, in a roll up, or just a couple spoonfuls give a boost in energy from healthy fats and protein! We have a variety of nut butter flavors for everyone to enjoy!